Friday, July 20, 2012

Adriane Stoner/Culture Shock


I thoroughly enjoyed Adriane Stoner’s lecture as I have many plans to travel in the future. Her lecture brought up several important aspects of the traveler’s journey. Travelers no longer have to wait long periods of time due to the accessibility of internet and of mobile technology, something I had problems with when I traveled to Canada. Because of the widespread use of this technology and social media, this interrupts with the natural process of culture shock. Culture shock forces the traveler to be uncomfortable, but through this discomfort, better adjusts to their new surroundings.
I personally believe that everyone nowadays is completely overtaken with social media and that no one knows how to hold a normal conversation anymore, so I think it is safe to say that I do think that the use of technology today interferes with culture shock. I think that people allow themselves to be brainwashed and occupied with social media too much, so much as to miss out on important events within their lives. I understand travelling and being in a new setting and being uncomfortable because I have been there. However, if you put yourself in that setting, you have to take out the most that you can and learn and grow as a person.
I can’t truly say that culture shock hit me badly when I travelled to Toronto. I was definitely in the honeymoon phase for the whole trip, which lasted a week. I was extremely excited to be out of the country, as it had been my first time and I was just ecstatic to be seeing so many cool things. I noticed many things like the fact that everyone spoke French and also there was a slower way of life than in the US. Although I had travelled outside of the country, I noticed that I had an even more culture shocking experience when I travelled just three hours south from where I lived.
I grew up in Chicago. Chicago and fast-paced life is pretty much all I know. My friend invited me down to her house for the weekend two weeks ago. She only lives three hours away, but it felt like I was on a whole different planet. She lives in a town of only five hundred people. Driving down, I was most definitely in honeymoon phase as I thought it was adorable and rustic. Then once I met the people, I was very uncomfortable. Everybody was very clique-ish and there were definitely a few stares thrown my way. They made it extremely known to me that I didn’t fit in there. My experience just proves that a traveler to a foreign place doesn’t have to go far or stay long to fully succumb to the effects of culure shock. 
Ashley C.

No comments:

Post a Comment