Thursday, July 19, 2012

Shock Value



Professor Adrienne Stoner's presentation on her study abroad research reminded me of past moves in my life.  

As a doctoral candidate, Adrienne focused her research on the correlation between the study abroad experience and the consumption of new media.  The study abroad experience can provide a new perspective and also give participants more of an edge in the job search.  However, while many embrace the experience, many get homesick and turn their cell phones -equipped with Facebook, Twitter, email, etc. that ties them back to their roots at home.

As Adrienne discussed the idea of culture shock and the value it would add to her study, I thought about the bout of culture shock I experience.  I didn't travel to a foreign country or move that far away, but it was almost as if I was in another world.  After growing up in the city of Chicago, my parents moved us to Lincoln, IL so my dad could open his own business.  Needless to say, there is a huge difference between the two.

Gone were the skyscrapers, annoying yet calming sounds of traffic and sirens, and people swiftly walking past each other.  Lincoln was as small town, Andy Griffith show as you could get.  At first, it was exciting to explore, but after 2 weeks, I wanted to get in the car and drive straight back.  I relied heavily on the new media of the time which was AOL Instant Messenger and Myspace.  However, while this kept me in tune with something I couldn't really be a part of anymore, it kept me from embracing what Lincoln had to offer, no matter how little it was.  While being a part of "cyber-Chicago" was enough to hold me over until the next day, I still woke up to realize that I was still in Lincoln and couldn't live virtually forever.

After Professor Stoner discussed how the cycle of culture shock, I kind of understood both sides of the equation.  New media should be used, but to share your experience with those who aren't there.  When I see pictures or videos from others' travels that they post instantly, I get excited to want to go myself.  People who are homesick seem to "hide" the experience rather than show it off.  I also understand why some people may not want to have any access at all.  The vulnerability that comes with traveling to a new place, foreign country or not, adds to the excitement.  Losing yourself in anything; travel, music, film, seems to immediately impact a person -for better or worse.

I believe that use of new media while studying abroad would affect a person's personal growth.  Who knows if I could have learned something new while living in Lincoln, I was too wrapped up in trying to remain a Chicagoan.  And while I think the way a person uses new media reflects their growth as a person, I don't think homesickness should be an excuse to not submerge oneself in a new place.


2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great way to look at using new media technology in your study abroad experience. Instead of using Skype or Face Time to connect with your family and in essence help eliminate some of the homesickness you may be feeling, use your experience to involve your family and friends in it. I think that works two ways. Not only are you connecting with your loved ones back home but their excitement regarding everything that you're experiencing will encourage you to go out everyday and see/ experience more of the country to share with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a very great example of culture shock, mostly because when people think of culture shock, they think of going abroad, yet here you are, staying in the same state and still experiencing it. I also like that you brought up that you couldn't fully experience Lincoln (not sure how much it has to offer compared to Chicago) because you were still trying to get back to Chicago. Maybe if you had tried to embrace Lincoln for what it was, the culture shock wouldn't have been as bad.

    ReplyDelete