Thursday, July 19, 2012

Professor Stoner-Study abroad experience vs. new media

Professor Stoner was a guest lecturer in class who told us a little about her research: The study abroad experience verses new media. She basically wanted to see how new media, which includes cell phones and the internet effects how students that study abroad adjust to the culture shock. Before this advanced technology, there use to be greater lengths of culture shock. But now since you can just pick the phone and talk to your family or even being able to see them via video chatting the feeling of homesickness is hard to get.

Even though I have not studied abroad yet, I can relate this experience to when I moved into my apartment during college. I was a little worried because people that were a little bit older and had already moved out would complain about how homesick they were. They would miss out on home cooked meals and the comfort on living on with their families. So when I moved out I was a little nervous.  I am very close to my family and we spend a lot of time with each other. But once I started living on my own  I didn't feel that homesickness that everyone described. Most of my day was spent on school and work and when I was back at my apartment I would be too exhausted to do anything else. My dad still calls me every morning to make sure I am awake, even though I am awake every time he calls. And I talk to my mom every evening. Me and brother usually communicate through text and Facebook. I can also talk to my friends from back home or away at school through text and Facebook. And if I miss indian food, I can just run down to the convenient store and pick up a frozen food meal or order take out.

I agree with Professor Stoner's research that the culture shock time period has lessened due to the availability on new technology. There are many ways to communicate with your loved ones. So the people who did feel the pressure of not moving out or even studying abroad, their pressure has lowered. They know there is always a way of communication so they don't feel too far from their loved ones. I think it is important for the the period of culture shock and the adjustment period even out. This way when student do go out of town to study they can be at they their top most comfort level and learn what they  came to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I felt that I related to what you talked about in your blog. I also discussed Professor Stoner's lecture in my own blog and talked about how moving into my own apartment was made easier with the use of new media. What also grabbed my attention was your last comment about comfort level. While I don't think individuals should be in a constant state of discomfort, I also believe that this discomfort is important to the learning process. My speech professor use to tell us that we would never learn and progress as individuals unless we stepped out of our comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete