Friday, July 20, 2012

Study Abroad vs New Media


Adrienne’s presentation focused on how study abroad affects new media and vice versa.  According to Adrienne, new media is the “stuff we’re using the most today that hasn’t been around long.”  An example of this is the Internet.  She goes on to say that the way study abroad students communicate with family and friends is different today versus 20 years ago.
Adrienne is right.  Because of all this new technology, we are able to leave the country while still being able to keep in contact with family and friends.  For instance, my roommate just left for Costa Rica.  However, it doesn’t even feel like she’s gone because we’ve been emailing each other back and forth constantly about living arrangements for next year.  So, even though she’s gone, it’s almost like I’m not actually going through this alone because I’m constantly keeping her updated.
She also discusses the U Curve Culture Shock which involves different phases: honeymoon phase- excited to be somewhere new, culture shock- beginning to feel unsure and disoriented, adjustment- begin adjusting to these habits over time, and mastery- when the culture is mastered and you become a part of it.  And you don’t have to go out of the country to experience this.  Looking back at my transition from high school to college, I experienced this.  When I first moved into the dorms I was super excited, but then I began missing all of my family and friends back home.  Now I feel comfortable living on my own because I’ve done it for a year.
Adrienne then asks “does new media make the shock not as severe?”   I think that part of why I was able to deal with being on my own was because of Facebook and texting.  I might not have physically been near my family and friends, but I was able to connect to them within minutes.  So yes—the  shock is not as severe because it is so easy gain access to this kind of technology.  Therefore, we are never truly alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment