Friday, July 20, 2012

Adrian Stoner


Adrian Stoner gave an excellent lecture on the impact media has on students when studying abroad. Although I have never studied abroad the concept she discusses is something everyone can relate to.
Her focus is that your experience of leaving your bubble and going somewhere else will have different stages. And after the excitement stage you begin to feel out of place possible or home sick. Although this may not be a positive point in your trip it is a very significant part of the experience and how you handle and cope with the “home sick” feeling builds up who you are and helps you learn more during the study abroad experience. In this day in age that culture shock is much less significant because students are utilizing media technology to stay in contact with everyone back home.
Me, personally, if I studied abroad I am sure I would bring as much as I could to make the trip smoother and less chaotic. However , I wish that if I ever did study abroad I would go through the “old school” experience and only have the capability to contact my family when necessary. I believe this helps build character like I said earlier and makes you stronger. You become more exposed to the new world around you and you are going to do whatever it takes to understand the culture. Ultimately you will have to work for it rather than having all of the comfort and knowledge at your fingertips. Unfortunately we are society that has become extremely reliant on media technology and I do not know many students that would willingly give up those capabilities.
Yet, on the other hand, having this media technology is extremely beneficial for students that are unable to study abroad. The technology is bitter sweet. They are able to research the different countries understand and learn their language. Although the actual experience is something that cannot be replaced with technology, the knowledge is better than nothing.
I mentioned in the beginning that the concept Adrian focuses on can be relative to anyone. Students do not neccessarly have to visit another country but if they are placed in a new environment whether it may be the place or the people for a short or long period of time, people will use their phones or ipads to lessen the “awkwardness” or discomfort they may feel. This then leads to studies of social networks and media making people socially awkward, but that is an entirely different argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment