Friday, July 13, 2012

Stereotyping and Women in the Media

I found Professor Bui's lecture to be very interesting. I liked how she studied film as a way to see stereotyping in Vietnamese women. She used the film "Heaven and Earth" as an example to show how women (and their bodies) were portrayed during the Vietnam War. As Caitlin talked about in her blog post, it also made me think of the Hitchcock's film "Marnie." Although Marnie was not a Vietnamese woman, we were still able to see stereotyping of women and women's bodies though out the film.
Although Professor Bui's lecture was focused around women, I think it is also important to point out stereotypes of Asian Americans in general. In American films and television shows, if there is an Asian person they are most likely going to follow an Asian stereotype in some way. In the t.v. show Modern Family, there was an episode where an Asian women was showed running over garbage cans while driving. This was showing the stereotype of Asians being "bad drivers." I have some Asian friends how have experienced these type of stereotypes firsthand.
I also found myself comparing Professor Bui's lecture to Processor Meraz's lecture.  Although Professor Meraz discussed women and the Internet, I felt some ideas could relate well to Professor Bui's lecture. Both discussed value and deception of women in different forms of media. It is unfortunate that women are depicted in such negative ways. As I woman, I feel it is important to discuss these topics (stereotyping and gender). Woman are looked at so much differently than men and almost all in negative or deceiving ways. As I previously stated in my blog about Professor Meraz's lecture, I took a GWS course that really opened my eyes to gender discrimination, and not only in women. Surprisingly some men are discriminated against too. However, for the most part men are the dominant figure and women suffer with more stereotyping. I think it is important to point out how women are such sex symbols in the media (movies, TV, Internet). In "Heaven and Earth" the main character was a prostitute, which goes to show how women are portrayed in film.
Overall, I found the lecture to be very fascinating and I thought it was interesting how Professor Bui shared some of her own experiences. I also thought it was neat that I was able to relate and compare Professor Meraz's lecture to Processor Bui's lecture.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your view on women in the media. I took a course last semester that was actually on this topic. One of the articles we read was about Barbie-- she's basically the "ideal" woman. But in reality, no one can ever look like her. Yet we're still supposed to try sooo hard to be this "perfect woman." I think it's wrong that the media primarily focuses on women's body

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree on your view. I watched Professor Bui's lecture and noticed the different television shows that I watch and the stereotypes it shows. For examples, Asians being considered bad drivers, I have seen that in multiple media outlets. I also took a GWS course and it made me realize that even now women's bodies are objectified. They are always looked at in a sexual manner, they way they stand, act, dress, or the way their hair is. I think it is important to change this image of women in media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree that women in the public eye are portrayed badly. It's frustrating to have this imagine that you're supposed to look up to, even though you know you'll never be anything close. It gives women a false sense of what beauty truly is, making them believe looking like these stereotypes is what we need to do. I personally struggle with this issue daily. I wish the media wasn't obsessed with perfection.

    ReplyDelete