Thursday, July 12, 2012

Gendering of the Internet- Professor Meraz


After reading a couple blog posts on Professor Meraz’s lecture, what I found most intriguing was the idea of gendering in the 21st century.  From looking over history one would think that this subject must be dead.  As Professor Meraz mentioned, there are many women entering into more types of fields than ever before.  But, after witnessing technology and career interests in my own like and watching Professor Meraz’s lecture, I realize that this is just not the case.  Gendering and sexism are arising in different ways than ever before because of the advancement of technology and increase in different media platforms.  I found her study of women in the computer science field (with its very low numbers) and discussion with the class quite applicable to my own life experiences that I had not thought of before.

Throughout high school and college, I have dabbled in programming and taken the necessary I.T. classes, but past the basic hardware and software issues, I am easily baffled. I have long relied on my brother or boyfriend to help me any time a computer does something crazy on me that I just know nothing about.  I realize, though, this isn’t because I don’t have the ability to figure it out on my own, but socially I have found it acceptable to ask them to do things for me instead.  I believe this is what Meraz was pointing out; girls become socialized to act, like, and dislike certain things from a very young age.  When a young girl is taught that it’s okay to let guys do the dirty work for her, her idea of what is “fun” will definitely reflect that.  Professor Meraz’s idea of socialization as a root in the inequality of women in technology reminded me of our lecture on “Perception” and “Beauty.”  In American culture, attractiveness and extroverted people usually gain success more easily than those without.  This is especially true, it seems, with women.  That is why Meraz’s notion that a girl would be more interested in the technological field (of programming and coding versus design and user interface work that is usual of females) if she were to be exposed to it as acceptable from the very beginning, is a mirroring image of perception as having cultural relativity, just like trends of beauty.

As great as this is to realize, just realizing it will not change the fact that in our American society females just don’t seem as interested in the technological field.  The reasons may be ingrained in our childhoods or treatment by our male counterpart, or even other girls, but the fact still remains.  Professor Meraz even mentioned the increase of female oriented blogs and to me this makes the gender gap seem to only be getting wider.  Hopefully instead of hindering and isolating women in technology, men and more mainstream audiences will be attracted to this blogs in order to balance out their information intake between males in females.  But one can only hope.

3 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to you. I have always been horrible in math and I have never been tech savvy to say the least. When I think back to grammar school I feel like I didnt get the attention I deserved when it came to these subjects. No matter how much I struggled in Algebra or Statistics, I felt as though my teachers almost just expected it of me. I was not good with numbers and that was it. Because of this I feel like I was limited in what I was able to pursue as a college student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with both you! I remember pretty vividly a computer teacher in the 7th grade actually saying things like "this class will be more useful to the guys since they'll be more likely to work in these fields". I guess I never really thought twice about it but it seems like a pretty awful thing to say, particularly to such young and impressionable minds. If it wasn't obvious word of such comments got home to parents and in the 8th grade we had a new computer teacher and although I do not feel like I was affected in any way that caused me to stray away from some passion I can see how that would affect someone and cause such an outcome in them.

      Delete
  2. I definitely wonder whether or not my interests would have been the same if I had been raised and taught differently. It makes me more interesting to find out if, even with the U.S. societal norms, I had learned more about math (like with the girl with engineers for parents talked about in the lecture) at a younger age, I would be more inclined to have a non social science major.

    Caitlin McDonald
    Comment Post 3

    ReplyDelete